Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Peru Prep Step #3: Immunizations a.k.a. Monstrous Needle Stabs Innocent Arm

Today I walked into a clinic where the average age was 9 years old and there I, a soon-to-be 24-year-old , sat amongst the line of elementary school kids. Thankfully, the clinic had cleared out when I asked for my double immunization, Hepatitis A and B twisted together and served in one nice, neat package.

But there was one wide-eyed third grader staring as I ostensibly bravely sat down in the chair, anticipating my shot. He was watching, still watching so I determined I would be brave for him. I kept throwing out any small talk I could brainstorm to distract me and mask my mounting nervousness, which I actually didn’t think I would feel. Mid-sentence, the shot was done and I hadn’t even winced! My mom would be so proud!

An exciting bonus was that they were out of “adult” Band-Aids so I got to have a yellow crayon Band-Aid.

One round down, two more rounds to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment