Thursday, November 21, 2013

Lations + The Cold = Fail.

At the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year, I decided to be ambitious and take 40 Latino high schoolers on a day retreat to help the class bond. We planned a hike and bonfire but unfortunately the cold came sooner than we were expecting. While we were starting the first game, snow began to fall. As students huddled together, I knew the retreat would be short-lived if we didn't move it inside.

One of the two options to house the students was the church building only because it was a large space and I had keys. But that whole first amendment thing about not mixing church and state...I decided that the better option would be to take them to my house. (Obviously it was the better of two evils because what teacher wants 40 students to know where she lives. You are just asking for your house to be toliet-papered or worse).

Despite it being a Sugarhouse home, meaning it was the size of a child's shoe and we were all crammed in there, we had a blast. We did end up getting to make s'mores, play soccer at the park, witness an epic Battle of the Sexes game, devour Hispanic food, and dance. It was one of the best moments of being a teacher this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment