Sunday, June 15, 2014

Luck Be A Lady?

About two weeks ago, I went with a few friends to a Chinese restaurant, but we ended up eating the most delicious sushi rolls. We had the chef's undivided attention since the restaurant was empty besides our group of five. He decided to have some fun and added a fifth roll to our order; one that he nicknamed "Russian Roulette." When he brought it out, he explained that we each would roll the dice and then take the slice of sushi with that number by it. One of us would get a roll with an intense spicy sauce hidden inside it. I rolled a three and then we simultaneously plopped the sushi into our mouths.

Actually, I didn't quite plop it; I gingerly started taking miniature bites and timidly looking for a sign that I had the spicy one. As I kept slowly eating my piece, I looked at the guys' reactions because yes I was with only guys. No one seemed to be reacting and that's when I saw a vile red glop in my roll. I had to down it because by now all the guys realized I was the "lucky one." At first I thought I would survive, but then the burn began and the tears streamed. I was in such pain that I tried to politely excuse myself and raced to the bathroom.

I hid myself in there for nearly 10 minutes, alternating between spitting saliva out of my mouth and stuffing toliet paper into my mouth, trying to dab the spice away. When I finally emerged, I drank the entire pitcher of water and ate anything on the table that was bland.

I HATE spicy foods; not only hate but cannot eat spicy foods. So my mouth burned for nearly an hour but I am proud of myself for conquering the challenge. Russian Roulette - I just dominated you. That's right. I eat like a girl...
and I'm never doing it again. 

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow!! I didn't realize how spicy it was!! That is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete