Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Mother Heart

A few weeks ago, my friend Kristen sent me this text; "I made the same thing for dinner tonight that I made the last time you came over. Kaitlyn [Kristen's four-year-old daughter] was eating and said 'Remember when Britney was here and I played dolls with her? That was SO fun.' I said, 'You have a good memory.' Kaitlyn said, 'I will always remember her. She was so fun. I wish she were here.' She loves you."

This text filled my heart. Into my mind came the words from Julie B. Beck's talk entitled "A Mother Heart." She said, "In my experience I have seen that some of the truest mother hearts beat in the breasts of women who will not rear their own children in this life, but they know that 'all things must come to pass in their time' and that they 'are laying the foundation of a great work.' As they keep their covenants...Covenant-keeping women with mother hearts know that whether motherhood comes early or late; whether they are blessed with a 'quiver full' of children here in mortality or not; whether they are left to carry the responsibility of parenthood alone - in holy temples they are 'endowed with power from on high' and with that endowment they received the promised blessings and are 'persuaded of them, and embraced them.'"

Possibly my favorite line comes next, "Every girl and woman who makes and keeps sacred covenants can have a mother heart. There is no limit to what a woman with a mother heart can accomplish."

I have despaired in the past about not being married and having children of my own. I have looked around with jealous eyes at my sister and best friends who take glowing family pictures because I desperately want that for myself, and it's a righteous desire, right?

But when I got Kristen's text, I realized how peaceful and content I am right now with the influence I do have. I have been blessed to love my niece and nephew, Lisa's beautiful boys, Kristen's children, Laura's darling James, and my students year after year. As I sat there thinking about the love I am experiencing as I get to be a part of these lives, I did not feel slighted at all. My 'mother heart' is full. This renewed my commitment to 'mother' my LIA students this year. Here they are...here's hoping I can pray on their behalf and influence them for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment