Friday, September 5, 2014

The Happiest Place on Earth

       Today, I snuck away from work 15 minutes early to escape SLC before traffic hit. My dear friend Kellie Heap had an extra ticket to the Ogden Temple open house and invited me to join her and her parents for a tour. Initially, I wasn't planning on going to the open house because I already attend the temple once a week; I foolishly felt like I know temples decently well. But the invitation was there and Kellie's parents were supervising the volunteers and I could leave work early; the stars were aligning.
       Breathtaking. The Ogden temple is the most beautiful temple I have been in. Where I got there, I asked Kellie's parents why they were rededicating the temple. They gently, but quickly, corrected me. It wasn't a rededication - they had completely torn the former building down and erected this new structure from scratch. The entire time we walked through the temple, I was in awe. For one, the artwork is stunning. One of my favorite paintings is that of a black young woman kneeling in a flowing white gown that is placed in the entrance to the women's dressing room. The other is Christ in his stark white robe, with his arms wrapped around two Native American children, against a luscious green forest. Then, the Celestial Room is beyond words, filled with intricate gold painting, gorgeously crafted chandeliers, and rich furniture. I could have walked through the temple over and over for hours.
      But I was most surprised how I felt while there. Since it isn't dedicated, I thought it merely would be an architectural marvel. However, the entire time I felt an undeniable testimony pouring in to me. Actually, I do not know how to translate my feelings into words. Consistently throughout the whole temple, I felt an indescribable mix of warmth, happiness, peace, love, and sureness. At times it even brought the beginning of tears. I was most caught off guard by the emotions though in the temporary "visitor's center" staged in a nearby tent. We were just walking through because Kellie's parents wanted to show us where the materials had come from, but as I walked by the pictures, tears actually did fall for who knows what reason. All I know is that it was clear to me how much I absolutely love the temple. That is the pervasive feeling I felt while in Ogden today; I love the temple. I need the strength it brings to me. As I see even righteous individuals lose their testimony because of confusing societal trends, I realized today that the temple is my anchor. For me, I am happiest there. Some think the happiest place on Earth is Disney World; if only they knew.

Secret confession: I've never been a chandelier fan but these have made me a believer. This is the Celestial Room. 

All hand carved. Bless his soul who carved this granite and marble. 

If I ever get married...?



1 comment: