Despite the rain, we still saw a lot of NYC, thanks to our energized tour guide and now almost New York City expert, Maverick! First, in true Mahvish style, we went to a yoga class packed with people. I tried a few poses without falling on anyone, which was quite the feat, however, I did accidentally graze the gluts of the woman to my right. Then we walked to a delicious, organic restaurant, where there was literally a line to get in because the restaurant only sat about 12 people. Or maybe it was the stuffed french toast that brought everyone. For me, it was the name: Westville, which felt like a slice of home plopped down in NYC. Sidenote: Mahvish lives on "Columbus Circle" so it's like our hometown is accompanying her during her city adventure. After brunch, we walked through quaint streets, but our bodies were freezing from the combination of post-yoga sweat and rain so we ended up racing back to the apartment, showering, sipping dark hot cocoa, and enjoying a movie-in that night.
Sunday, we walked the Highline, old railway tracks that have been turned into a path, which leads to to Chelsea Market. Every city needs one of these. From there, Hillary and I ran to church, which turned out to be at the temple. We were ecstatic about the fact that we got to go to church in the Manhattan temple. But here was another NYC contrast with Utah; there were entire minute pauses between testimonies. I was actually grateful for this because it allowed me to reflect on my feelings about Christ and then share my thoughts. That day I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the Savior and how I can talk to Him through prayer. His Atonement is real and not only is what allows me to be forgiven, but is what strengthens me, heals me, helps me be more than I am, gives me courage, faith, and hope. His Atonement is what allows a true comfort and peace to settle in me, despite my heartache. I am grateful that I can pray to Christ, that He cares about my concerns, and that He can help me because of His sacrifice.
Then we met back up with Mahvish and Ashley and saw a modern dance performance at the New York City ballet. The last part of it was a captivating couples dance. The building was right by Juliard. This reminded me of Grandma's brother, Jay, who was sent home at the age of 16 from Juliard because they said "he has mastered everything and we can't teach him anymore." Where did that talent go?
From there, we walked to Little Italy, which reminded me why I liked my Italian lover last summer. Too bad the streets were deserted and we didn't find any single Italian men walking around. But we did find the world's best cannoli and I can attest that it lived up to the advertisement. We walked around even more, soaking in the diverse beauty of NYC; there are endless things to see, and especially taste, in NYC. One of my favorite stops that day was Levain Bakery and their delicious "cookies." You bought one but it was really more like eating three scrumptious treats. It was worth the calories. That night, we "watched a movie," but actually ended up just chatting. I absolutely love catching up with Mahvish and Ashley. Their friendship is a blessing in my life. At one point, Ashley asked me about my family. When I mentioned that Kelsey is struggling a little bit, Ashley compassionately looked at me and said she knew about it and had been praying about what to say to me. I sat there stunned that my friend was so thoughtful and caring to go to her God on my family's behalf. These two women are remarkable. I felt that again as we chatted Monday during lunch with Mahvish. We were hearing about all of the bloody, cutting-into-bone-and-gum procedures Mahvish can perform and Ashley's ability to diagnose and help treat children's disabilities as a physical therapist. Both of them are brilliant, yet so loving, sensitive, and caring. Of course, the Speculous, or cookie butter, helped make our conversation even more memorable.
From there, we walked to Little Italy, which reminded me why I liked my Italian lover last summer. Too bad the streets were deserted and we didn't find any single Italian men walking around. But we did find the world's best cannoli and I can attest that it lived up to the advertisement. We walked around even more, soaking in the diverse beauty of NYC; there are endless things to see, and especially taste, in NYC. One of my favorite stops that day was Levain Bakery and their delicious "cookies." You bought one but it was really more like eating three scrumptious treats. It was worth the calories. That night, we "watched a movie," but actually ended up just chatting. I absolutely love catching up with Mahvish and Ashley. Their friendship is a blessing in my life. At one point, Ashley asked me about my family. When I mentioned that Kelsey is struggling a little bit, Ashley compassionately looked at me and said she knew about it and had been praying about what to say to me. I sat there stunned that my friend was so thoughtful and caring to go to her God on my family's behalf. These two women are remarkable. I felt that again as we chatted Monday during lunch with Mahvish. We were hearing about all of the bloody, cutting-into-bone-and-gum procedures Mahvish can perform and Ashley's ability to diagnose and help treat children's disabilities as a physical therapist. Both of them are brilliant, yet so loving, sensitive, and caring. Of course, the Speculous, or cookie butter, helped make our conversation even more memorable.
Earlier that day, Ash and I had quickly toured the Met. I need to go back; I didn't see enough of the mummies. On our way back from lunch, we walked for over an hour through Central Park. I want to get lost there; it was heavenly being in the trees, walking on winding paths, with the sun shining down.
The next day, Laura and I met up with Mindy and her son. Mindy is a beautiful woman; externally of course but especially internally. I felt so happy and uplifted in her presence. All it took was walking through the park and giving her a hug for me to feel her kind, loving spirit and feel better about myself. She is hilarious, yet so in-tune to others' needs and inclusive. I was on cloud 9 since I was surrounded by two women I adore and aspire to be like. One interesting effect being around this women had on me is that it strengthened my desire to have children. I guess, being single, I've worried slightly about how much my life will change and how that adjustment will be difficult. But Mindy and Laura are so good at still caring for themselves while selflessly loving their boys and raising moral, kind children. I felt the goodness of their families and realized I want to be that mother too.
The trip just kept getting better though because flights were wide-open to Columbus. I flew in that night and we all ended up at Courtney's apartment. Dad came after work, Kelsey too, and Mom and I came straight from the airport. (Caseman, sorry, we looked at pictures of you though)! My highlight was that Olivia, Channing, and I had a prolonged "tickle fight," which really consisted of Olivia laughing before I even tickled her. She even called me "My Britney" again. I need to train her to never stop. I couldn't tickle, kiss, or hug those children enough. Another favorite was the few rare moments when Channing would leave Courtney's lap and cuddle with me. He doesn't know how big he is and just flops his body on you in a giant hug. Nothing is more precious. Besides the lovin' we also discovered that our favorite Mexican restaurant opened a new location near us so we downed street tacos and horchata. We snuck in some necessary shopping, but also an intense workout. Halfway through, I thought we were done, but then Courtney just kept showing us the next exercises. She will have us whipped into shape in no time.
Friday night was special because we had a going away party for Anita. It is hard to see a sister go, but I will visit her in Ghana so I'm consoling myself with that exciting trip to look forward to. We gave her a bracelet with a "D" on it to remind her that she will always be a Davis. Apparently, when Dad had to see her off on Sunday, he got quite emotional. We love that sister of ours. As I get older, I think I also get more emotional. There was something about being home for those few days that felt beautiful, literally beautiful. I was so happy. Although I don't think I'll even live back in Ohio, I loved being around my family so much that it made me realize I want to head back East so I can be within driving distance. Plus, I need to be close enough to remind Channing and Olivia that I am one of their favorite aunts.
I flew back out to Salt Lake Saturday night to wrap up the weekend by watching conference and even got to go to the Conference Center for the Sunday afternoon session. (Thank you Ohio for always giving me your extra conference tickets you don't use). It was a week full of bliss.
No comments:
Post a Comment