Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sometimes Money Can Buy Happiness

Whoever said that "money can't buy happiness" did not understand my relationship with my four-year-old niece Olivia.

When I was home over Spring Break, I helped Olivia go to the bathroom at TJ Maxx. On the way, she got sidetracked by a Barbie, which she picked up and NEEDED! After leaving the restroom, she found the Barbie again and asked for it. More like begged. I resisted in the moment, but then on the car ride back to Mom's house she kept asking for it and suggested that I could buy it for her as a present for her birthday. Yes, she brainstormed that solution on her own. She is quite the negotiator.

Thankfully, I remembered the Barbie right before Olivia's birthday party and asked Mom to help me out in getting the gift. She made a mad dash over to TJ Maxx to get the Barbie. Luckily for me, she also include a picture of me so that we could emphasize to Olivia that I, Britney, got her the gift she wanted, which I'm hoping translates into her thinking I'm a one-of-a-kind aunt.

Olivia had assigned Kelsey the gift of Tinkerbell. In fact, when Olivia was trying to convince me that I should get her the Barbie, she said that Kelsey was getting her the Tinkerbell so I could get her the Barbie. Apparently, after Olivia opened all her presents, and Kelsey had given her an expensive gift that was not Tinkerbell, the first thing Olivia said was "But where is Tinkerbell?" Kelsey quickly ran to the store and remedied the situation.

And since part of my definition of happiness is having Olivia love me and think I'm an incredible aunt, I realized the money can buy my happiness. Oh how spoiled Olivia will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment