While at home for the past three weeks, I decided spontaneously that I wanted to make a quilted blanket and wood pallet signs. All it took was about half an hour of googling and pintresting and voila...here are my creations.
Actually, that's all I did, but then my grandparents and Dad came to the rescue. Poor Grandma and Grandpa Miller unsuspectingly got roped into my blanket-making dream. Without any forewarning, I showed up at their house with my fabric in hand, ready to use Grandma's machine. They then had to spend hours helping me to make up for my naivete that I could simply sit down and sew. Not only did they help me pin the fabric together, they helped me figure out how to create the lines I would quilt, moved the sewing machine to a better space, solved the conundrum of how to cut the blanket to make up for my mismatched fabrics, and taught me how to make the binding, then stitched all of the binding on.
That's my grandparents for you and why they deserve the 'grandparents of the year' award. Who else would not grumble when someone showed up at your house and made you do all the work for HER project? Who else would devote 100% attention to someone else's work? And on top of it, treat that person to lunch? The answer could only be Bob and Rosalyn Miller.
Although it was therapeutic to sew, Martha Stewart's instructional video should have included a side note that said "only possible if you have selfless grandparents who will help you."
My blanket is my new family heirloom because I'm grateful it will always remind me of them. How I love them.
My dad is just like them. When I wanted to make a wood sign, it became his project too. He drove me around the city looking for my wood pallet. Then he broke it all apart, taught me to use a saw, found a sander for me, and helped me nail it all together.


No comments:
Post a Comment