Monday, July 7, 2014

Hearts Shall Turn

Recently, several general authorities have been encouraging us to get to know our ancestors. As I've been reading stories of individuals who struggled and triumphed through their faith in God, I realized that I wanted to learn about my own ancestors who did the same.

Last summer I had read Grandma Myers' short life story and felt strengthened by her. She expressed that she had always desired to go to the temple, although she didn't not live close to one and for years there was not even a church in Northern Ohio.

After talking with my mom, we decided to make a photo book of my grandparents and great-grandparents, that would focus on their character and conversion to the gospel so that I could try to live up to their legacies.

Malachi got it right, but then again don't the prophets always? Because I have felt my heart turning. When I was at home in Ohio this summer, we spent time asking my grandparents about their family and sorting through pictures. We even went to the family history library. Once upon a time I would have politely excused myself from going but now I am loving learning about my family.

And the promises are coming true. One night toward the end of my trip home, my mom said that maybe Deborah Pickering Norman and other relatives who were steadfast Saints, although the church was not around their home, were helping Casey know how to start the church in Jaru, a small town that had baptized members but no established church. Then she shook her head and admitted it was a crazy thought but she couldn't help but wonder if our relatives who lived in similar circumstances were helping Casey.

As I looked up at my mom, my eyes filled with tears. I felt the Spirit wrap around me and tell me "Yes! They are helping you!" It was real. I know that my ancestors are our ministering angels helping my family, even me.

I know my Grandma and Grandpa Davis are supporting me. My heart has turned even more to my "fathers."

1 comment: