Typically high school teachers do not receive gifts from students at Christmas. Or ever. Elementary school definitely has a monopoly on that. And it's impressive HOW MUCH elementary school teachers do get. My friend Ashlee would walk way from the last day of school with multiple gift cards, scarves, and home decor. Never has that happened to me. I am more used to writing long letters of recommendation and proofreading essays without compensation..until this year.
1. My two Somalian twins, Anisa and Asma, started off the gift-giving by writing me a thoughtful, complimentary card and presenting me with a beautiful scarf that I donned that same day.
2. Then my sophomore LIA class gave me a massive card with thoughtful notes inside along with a scarf.
3. My cute LIA president, Stephanie, gave me a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble, along with sharpies and pens, that honestly is my heart's desire.
4. Another sweet LIA student, Jenny, gave me lotion and soap, but then came two days later with several boxes of hot cocoa and warm, fuzzy socks.
5. A Leaders in Action student had her mother sew me a travel bag. Sew me one. Incredible.
6. Two other Leaders in Action students, who do not have much money, brought me candy.
7. My TA, Amber, gave me a "B" mug filled with my favorite hot chocolate.
8. An Honors English student gave me a $25 gift card to a local Asian restaurant.
9. Another Honors English student, who I didn't even know liked me, was the first to bring me a gift of a Poinsettia and a thoughtful note.
11. One student, Marie, who I don't even have this year, gave me delicious gourmet candy and wrote a heartfelt note about how I helped her last year.
10. Of course, other candy rolled in from students.
My reaction to this outpouring of gifts was was shock and awe. And gratitude. Especially gratitude. Although I love these students enough to keep going without any gifts, I'm thankful for the brief moments when I can see that they care too.
No comments:
Post a Comment