Sunday, January 4, 2015

God Speaks Through Pop Music?

Right after Thanksgiving, my friend Lisa helped me realize that I'd be struggling through what Elder Holland calls "Depletion Depression" for the past five months and needed to change aspects of my life to stop the depletion.

Just a few days before that though, I was obviously feeling slightly depressed or down. For about two months straight, I had gone on a weekly series of blind dates and felt depleted that way too. Work was becoming a 24/7 job. Basically I had no energy in life. I kept praying, more so explaining to God how I felt, without any possible solutions except that I needed a break. In this same time, I woke up two days in a row with a random song stuck in my head that I hadn't heard in months. Both times the lyrics circulated through my mind on and off during the entire day.

Unfortunately I procrastinated writing this blog post and can't remember which song it was but I know the genre: contemporary pop. First I questioned why in the world it was in my head when I hadn't heard it for months. Did I dream about it? Why? How random? And then I started listening to the lyrics...surprisingly they seemed to apply perfectly to my situation. Weird, right? Because God definitely wouldn't talk to me through a pop song, would He? But I clearly remember that it gave me a little more hope that day.

The next day it was Colbie Caillat's song "Try," which I hadn't heard in months. Again, a pop song. But as soon as I heard "Get your sexy on/don't be shy, girl/take it off/This is what you want, to belong/so they like you. Do you like you?/You don't have to try so hard/you don't have to give it all away/you just have to get up, get up, get up, get up/You don't have to change a single thing," I knew it was a surprising answer to my prayer. Heavenly Father knew the months of blind dates and how much I was questioning myself. I had felt exhausted and done with dating and I was grateful to feel the answer that I'm acceptable; it will be okay.

Granted, I always have things to change and improve and will continue to work on that, but how refreshing it is to feel God's love, even through a pop song.

No comments:

Post a Comment